[Zope3-dev] service names (fwd)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 06:29:20 -0500

R. Sean Bowman wrote:
> hi
>
> (oops -- forgot to reply to the list, sorry!)
>
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>

>>[Jim]

> [...]
>
>>I'm with Shane.  This argument for avoiding literal constants in large
>>programs is as valid in Python as it is in other lanugages.
>>
>>Also note that PyChecker can find the typo in the variable name, but
>>not the typo in the string.
>>
>>--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)
>

> So can I change this?  If so, where should the names be put?  (howabout
> zope/app/services/names.py)

That's not whete they should go, since that area is specific to
local service implementations.

The problem is that services are defined by different frameworks.
There will be services defined by 3rd-party projects that are not included
in the core zope.

OK, here's my suggestion:

- In zope.component.servicenames define the names of services
   defined by the component architecture.

- In zope.app.servicenames defined the names defined by the spp
   server. Also:

   from zope.component.servicenames import *