[Zope3-dev] FTP/PUT/file-system-reprentation progress

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:00:30 -0800

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:20:31PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is to provide an update on some work I've been doing getting FTP,
> PUT, and, eventually, WebDAV working.

I'm curious... what ever happened to the idea of
getting third-party servers such as Twisted to work as a
server for z3?

I've only found very old threads about this.
e.g.
http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2002-February/000788.html
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2002-February/000516.html

from what I can tell of those threads, it seems that at
some point twisted was (is?) capable of interacting with z3,
but it looks like there may be (have been?) some valid reasons for not
using twisted as the "stock" z3 server.

personal note: I'm not so much interested in replacing zope's
http server - I don't really care what the http server is
as long as it is reliable and performs decently.

for me the issue is more this old note from Itamar, all of
which is very interesting:

"""If you *do* want SMTP/IRC/whatever integration (and choose not to use
twisted's own web framework, which would work fine for Mailman,
certainly), then there's some merit in using Twisted. Or if you want to
build a inteface to control Zope from a remote app (be it in Python,
Java, or *shudder* Emacs) using Twisted's remote object protocol."""

more broadly, I think Andy McKay's assessment has a lot of appeal:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2002-February/000513.html
"""the ability to separate ZPublisher and ZServer and have a cleaner
interface should be goal so that ZServer, Twisted or
any other Server could be plugged in as the developer wants..."""

I've lately been very impressed with how easy it is in zope2 to
plug in an alternative Storage to ZODB, and would love to
see more parts of zope3 take that approach.

Sorry if this is all water under the bridge.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com