[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/ZConfig/tests - test_schema.py:1.10.2.1

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
12 Feb 2003 08:57:53 -0500

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 08:18, Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> <snip>
> |     You could've then tested and
> |     checked in on the head, and marked the branch as "retired".
>
> Humm... what does this mean? How do you mark a branch as retired and
> how you figure out a branch is marked as retired?

One way is to tag the head and then destroy the branch tag, e.g:

  $ cvs -q up tseaver-some_feature-branch
  $ cvs tag tseaver-some_feature-branch-retired
  $ cvs tag -d tseaver-some_feature-branch

There are a *lot* of branches in the current CVS repository (both Zope
and Zope3) which are no longer fresh enough to be useful;  leaving a
non-branch tag in the repository to indicate the "final" state of the
branch, and then removing it, seems reasonable to me (of course, it
helps to have tagged the "base" of the branch as well before creating
it, to aid in "eyeballing" the history).

This technique only applies to what the "Streamed Lines" pattern
language would call "task" or "activity" branches;  "release" and
"integration" branches have different needs

"Streamed Lines":http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/acme/branching/

Tres.