[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/ZConfig/tests - test_schema.py:1.10.2.1

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
12 Feb 2003 13:46:50 -0500

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 11:21, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     TS> One way is to tag the head and then destroy the branch tag,
>     TS> e.g:
>
> <frightened>
>
> >From http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_4.html#IDX130
>
>     Warning: Moving branch tags is very dangerous! If you think you need
>     the -B option, think again and ask your CVS administrator about it (if
>     that isn't you). There is almost certainly another way to accomplish
>     what you want to accomplish.

Ah, I see from that page that '-d' won't work on branch tags.  I didn't
know that.  I still believe that the "rationale" paragraph before that
warning is in error for a repository which uses short-lived "activity
branches":  it says:

  Normally one does not modify tags. They exist in order to record the
  history of the repository and so deleting them or changing their
  meaning would, generally, not be what you want.

Tags exist for several purposes, and some are more "ephemeral" than
others, and don't contribute more value than the cost of their clutter.
I'm willing to bet that the writers of that document just don't use
branches that way (which is likely why it isn't safe).

If CVS can't do it safely, then we can just leave the crufty branch;
adding the '*-retired' tag would still be a reasonable measure.

Tres.