[Zope3-dev] Re: 'Folders', 'Sites' and customising Y's

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:33:36 +0000

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
> BTW, Thanks for keeping this discussion going. I know this must
> be tiresome, but I think it's important.

It's alright, I took a two week holiday in Cape Town to get a break from it ;-)

>>> Well, if we go for "folder" I wouldn't use "workspace" as a modifier,
>>> as that's really redundant.
>>
>> How so? a workspace folder is for working in, a plugin folder can be
>> moved around and installed elsewhere but not modified...
>
> OK, but by that logic, content folders would be workspace folders too.

I don't follow this, can you explain how?

>>> When creating
>>> these other components, they may copy selected components from the Y
>>> they are
>>> customizing.

Just realised... what happens if a new version of Y comes along and the
component that got copied has changed? How does the new version of the component
get used?

>> Hmmm... how granular is 'component'? Down to a single page template or
>> script?
>
> In practice, components will often be defined with individual templates,
> classes, or with a template and a class, where the class may be shared
> among
> multiple components.  I don't think that scripts will be used to
> create components.

Hmmm... okay, I guess we'll see how that pans out...

cheers,

Chris