[Zope3-dev] service names

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:40:19 +0200

>>I don't mind ErrorCollection much, but prefer ErrorReports fwiw.
>
> ErrorReports sounds good to me.

I'm -1 on ErrorReports.

(But that doesn't mean I can't be persuaded ;-) )

The reason is that which I outlined in the second part of my earlier email:

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-February/005430.html

I proposed two kinds of service names. One kind is 'plural nouns'. This
kind is for services that manage a collection of components or a
collection of other things that are instrumental in a system's architecture.

So, we have:

    HubIds, Roles, Permissions, Adapters, Interfaces, Utilities,
    Skins, Views, Resources, Factories

I don't think 'ErrorReports' fits in here, because we aren't using the
service to manage error reports. An 'error report' itself isn't
particularly instrumental in a system. Compare this to a hubId, or a
Role, or an Adapter or a View.

The other kind of name I suggested is for services that provide the
means to do something. This seems much more like what the error service
is for: it collects important information about errors that have
occured. So, I think it should be called something like 'error
reporting' or 'error collection', and not 'error reports'.

Then, there's the lesser issue of consistency among the names of
services that provide the means to do something. I suggested three schemes:

Nouns derived from verbs, for providing the means to do something

    Authentication, Subscription, Publication, ErrorCollection

or perhaps the participal form of the verb

    Authenticating, Subscribing, Publishing, ErrorReporting

or perhaps the infinitive of the verb

    Authenticate, Subscribe, Publish, ReportErrors

Or, we could decide that this particular consistency is not so important.

--
Steve Alexander