[Zope3-dev] Configuration changes

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:57:42 -0500

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Yesterday, Guido and I spent some time going over configuration
> aspects of site development and he had a number of good ideas I'd like
> to share and get feedback on.

> Here are some of the ideas we came up with:

Dang, I forgot the most imporatnt one:

- Change the way configurations are created so that they start
   from the thing being configured, rather than from the
   configuration manager. For example, rather than walk up to a
   configuration manager and elect to add a service configuration,
   you would walk up to a service instance and elect to configure it.
   Better yet, when you add a service instance, you will be given the
   opportunity to configure it as part of the same step.

   This approach has a number of advantages:

   - It is simpler for the user, because they will usually want to
     configure things when they create them.

   - The add dialog will be simpler because you don't have to ask the
     user what to configure.  And, when the configuration depends on the
     interface of a component being configured, knowing the component,
     greatly reduces the number of interfaces to select from.

Thoughts?