[Zope3-dev] Re: Better access to APIs in paths (was Re: needingviewsclues - template/title troubles)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:30:55 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

>> I really don't think that the declaration adds anything but ceremony
>> in your example.
>

> I agree.  But is it really safe to declare the extra-short acronym "sf"
> for all Zope users everywhere?  A lot of people would think of
> Sourceforge, since "http://sf.net" redirects you to sourceforge.net.

We'd probably want to pick a better name, like, uh, "format".

> Declaring namespaces in a template makes it more self-contained.  If I
> want to know if I can use a template outside Zope, or in a different
> version of Zope, I have to know what APIs it depends on.  If the
> template declares namespaces, reuse is easier.  If *all* the templates
> I'm interested in reusing declare namespaces, reuse is much easier.

Adding the namespace ceremony doesn't make the template self contained.
It won't work unless someone  has separately configured some code to
implement the API.

The only thing the declaration gives you is the ability to use the
same prefix for different APIs.