[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFC: Through the Web Site Development

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:02:57 -0500

Barry Pederson wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>

>>> I've written some science fiction documentation:
>>>
>>>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ThroughTheWebSiteDevelopment
>>>
>>> that sketches out a model for site development in Zope 3.
>>>
>>> I really need feedback on this. Comments are more than welcome.
>>> Feel free to comment here or on the wiki page.
>

> This is a minor terminology/wording/UI bit that seems troublesome to me...

I'm not super happy with it either.

> ------------
> Any folder can be changed into a site (or changed from a site back to an
> ordinary folder). To change an ordinary folder into a site, just select
> the "Create Site" action in the folder. When a folder is changed to a
> site, the "Create Site" link becomes a "Manage Site" link.
> -------------
>
> Mainly it's using the word "create" when we're telling the user we're
> just changing the folder.  Yes, you are creating site-management folders
> and such -  but at the point the user clicks on "create site", they
> don't see any new objects appear, but instead just see a menu change.

True. I guess I think of it as turning straw into gold. I guess convert
would be better.

I think this should feel like a heavy operation.

> Also, there's no mechanism described for how you'd change a site back to
> an ordinary folder.

That's because there is no such mechanism. Do you think we need one? :)

> Perhaps folders might have a property tab of some sort that had some
> radio buttons giving the choice:
>
> ------------
>     Folder foo is a:
>
>       [x]  plain folder
>       [ ]  folder with a site manager
>
>     <<save changes>>
>
> Then, if a user went to this tab, and made the change, having a "Manage
> Site" link appear or disappear back on the primary folder display tab
> would make sense.

I think that this is too lightweight.

> Otherwise, I think the terminology changes are very helpful.

Great! Thanks.