[Zope3-dev] Python 2.2 or 2.3?

Jim Fulton jim@ZOPE.COM
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:31:02 -0500

It's getting to be a real pain supporting both Python 2.2 and 2.3
for Zope 3. People working with Python 2.3 are checking in code that
fails tests under 2.2. This happens pretty frequenty and can be pretty
disruptive.

I think we need to mandate a particular Python revision for Zope 3 development,
at least for now. I haven't made up my mind about which one we should mandate
though.

Here are some points

   For Python 2.2 (2.2.2 or 2.2.3):

     - It's stable

     - It exists now.

     - People can develop from releases, whereas to use
       Python 2.3, they might have to work with a Python
       CVS checkout.

   For Python 2.3:

     - It has some nice new features.

     - It has changes, made based on Zope 3 development
       that make some Zope 3 code more elegent.
       For example, meta classes are needed to make
       persistence work with Python 2.2.

     - By developing in Python 2.3, we are more likely to
       get things we need in 2.3.

My inclination is to mandate that all checked in code must pass
all tests under Zope 2.2.2 or higher.

Thoughts?