[Zope3-dev] Python 2.2 or 2.3?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 08:00:21 -0500

> > Jim Fulton wrote:
> > >I think we need to mandate a particular Python revision for Zope
> > >3 development, at least for now. I haven't made up my mind about
> > >which one we should mandate though.

[Paul Winkler]
> If the plan is to get z3 working with py 2.3 eventually,
> why not start now?

It's already working with Python 2.3, except for some shallow bugs,
and PythonLabs will continue to make sure that it works with 2.3.

But 2.3 is (and will remain for quite a while) a moving target, and
tying two releases together has proven in the past to be a mistake.
So I'm personally more comfortable with recommending 2.2.2 (and making
sure that always works) and leaving the 2.3 compatibility to
PythonLabs, at least until after 2.3 is released.