[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope3 "Lock Up" on Linux and other questions

R. David Murray rdmurray+dated+1042312696.76d902@bitdance.com
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 14:18:12 -0500

complaw@hal-pc.org writes:
>file and use DTML, but I got an error message when trying to preview that page.
> I left it alone for a while and she locked up my GUI.  Note, it didn't crash
>Linux or the other Zope instance (the 2.4.3).  I was able to save my work on
>2.4.3 and shut down cleanly.  It did lock up the GUI (KDE3), however.  So I'll
>do it from a console from now on.

This is very odd.  Zope doesn't do anything in a desktop GUI sense.
Everything is either console (terminal window) or web browser.  I've
never seen terminal window output lock up X Windows, but, then, I
never use any of these newfangled 'desktop' thingies <grin>.

Since you say 'preview the page', I presume this means 'in a web
browser', not a terminal window, which might indicate a bug
in your web browser (ie: the web browser locked up KDE3).
Since z3 doesn't use any 'push' http technology, if this is
indeed the case it seems likely to be a javascript issue.

>Long story short, where can I view a log file with error messages so that I can
>start to diagnose the problem?

See doc/LOGGING.TXT.  I don't think that is going to help, though.
Zope can't have done anything while you were "letting it sit", since
as I said it doesn't use any web 'push' technology.  If your browser
has a javascript console that might help, but good luck <wry grin>.

>An another note, is there a way to get Jim Fulton's slide show downloaded so
>that I can print it out?

The pythonprogrammersguide slideshow is in cvs in OpenOffice format
(see the 'Doc' hierarchy at cvs.zope.org).  I'm not sure how
up to date it is.

>Yet another question, where do I put the Zope products?  Should I put them in a
>new zopeproducts folder (e.g. /usr/local/zope/Zope3/zopeproducts)?

You can put them anywhere in the python path.  Where you chose
depends on how you like to structure your system.

--RDM