[Zope3-dev] zope3.org?

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:41:03 -0500

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 09:52, Jon Whitener wrote:
> As a Zope user (and not a developer), I agree with Chris and those who
> think the Zope 3 Web presence should lie within the current zope.org.
>
> Zope users, and importantly prospective users, already face problems
> finding the information they need to learn about Zope.  (Most of us start
> at Google.com instead of Zope.org.)  Branching off the new version of Zope
> software to another domain scatters that information even more, literally
> and psychologically.  I believe there is an important value in having a
> single "horse's mouth" where people can go when they want Zope's own docs,
> etc.

First of all I must say that the *current* goals are quiet different than the
goals of zope.org.

zope3.org is really a hybrid of of Z2's version of zope.org and dev.zope.org
but in a limited fashion. We just want to develop and test some tools for
Zope 3 there but with a purpose (since it is much more fun to write a tool
having a goal in mind).

> It may be easier in some respects to start with a clean slate with
> zope3.org, but in doing so, it seems you're abdicating the responsibility
> of "fixing" zope.org.  I, and many other users I'm sure, would much rather
> see the overhaul of zope.org instead of "jumping ship" and starting again.
>
> Furthermore, we'd all benefit from your experiences as you upgrade zope.org
> from Zope version to Zope version.

Well, but we want to build zope3.org using Zope 3 now, but it will take a long
time for Zope 3 before we could make a full-blown zope.org site with it.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter