[Zope3-dev] ftp code has no unit tests, so moving to a branch

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:14:25 -0500

Anthony Baxter wrote:

>>Some important parts of the Zope 3 FTP code that are checked into the
>>HEAD have no unit tests. They also have bugs, as Anthony Baxter and I
>>found out earlier today.
>>
>>Everything in the Zope 3 HEAD should have unit tests.
>>
>>Therefore, I would like to move this test-less code out of the HEAD and
>>onto a branch. It can return when it has unit tests and it works properly.
>

> As the other person involved in nearly an hour-long debugging session
> to get _basic_ ftp functionality working, I'd like to agree with this,
> strongly. If it means turning off ftp til it gets test cases, so be it.
> Right now I can break ftp in 4 different ways, trivially - and the lack
> of a test suite means that tracking down each of these bugs will be
> an absolute nightmare.

There are nearly a dozen tests in
src/zope/server/ftp/tests/test_ftpserver.py.  Do they not test the
failures you saw?  Can you expand them to test the broken functionality?

Shane