[Zope3-dev] Other (than GET and POST) HTTP Methods

Willem Broekema willem@pastelhorn.com
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:10:58 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Then again, as a practical matter, we will end up providing WebDAV and
>> PUT is just a subset. In the short term, however, I want PUT and I don't
>> want to have to implement all of WebDAV just to get PUT.
>
> Note that PUT doesn't necessarily imply WebDAV--it's part of the HTTP
> spec.  So you're justified in wanting to implement PUT without
> implementing WebDAV.

The same is true for HEAD: it's both an important regular HTTP method
and used in WebDAV.

Zope 2.x always lets the WebDAV code handle HEAD requests, which is
wrong and leads to high unneeded bandwidth waste in certain situations:
<http://collector.zope.org/Zope/564>.

- Willem