[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:04:50 -0200

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:48:44AM -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
| We should strive to reduce the need for common Zope users to write
| software.  Classes and methods are software.  Once you ask someone to
| write a class or method, you're better off letting them write an entire
| module, because you've already crossed the "software development" barrier.

Agreed. And once that happens, theres no turning back.

| Ever since I started maintaining my own Zope site, I've wanted to do two
| simple things.  I'm coming to believe that a lot of new Zope users want
| the same things:
|
| 1) Add metadata to objects following some schema that I define, and
| search based on that metadata.
|
| 2) Define what people see if they traverse directly to the object.
| Although the default view could be defined by the type of the object, I
| think the default view of something is not necessarily dependent on its
| type.
|
| It really shouldn't ever be necessary to write any new software to do
| either of those things.  I think those simple capabilities would fulfill
| the expectations of a significant percentage of Zope users who today
| have to write software.

I couldnt have explained better. +1.

--
Sidnei da Silva (dreamcatcher) <sidnei@x3ng.com.br>
X3ng Web Technology <http://www.x3ng.com.br>

When we write programs that "learn", it turns out we do and they don't.