[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:49:18 -0800

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:24:41PM +0100, Joachim Werner wrote:
> The problem in the the time need to learn ZPT and/or DTML and all the tricks
> to make ZClasses actually do what you want you can as well learn Python. If
> had known all this in advance I'd started my Zope career using some DTML
> (there was no ZPT yet) and a lot of Python.

Yes. I think this is one of the big problems with the z2 learning curve.
The tutorial and other bits of introductory documentation show you that
you can do a lot without learning python. So a budding young zopatista
who is, of course, short on time, will avoid spending the time to
learn python (learning a new languague... ugh! that must take a long time!)
and keep adding features until the day finally comes that he realizes
he has built a nest of ugly and unreadable DTML.  And then he finally
starts learning python and realizes he would have saved himself a lot
of time and pain by doing that early.

maybe i'm biased, i came to zope via python, not the other way around...

--PW

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com