[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:53:27 -0500

Luciano Ramalho wrote:

> On segunda-feira, jan 13, 2003, at 11:48 America/Sao_Paulo, Shane
> Hathaway wrote:
>>  Once you ask someone to write a class or method, you're better off
>> letting them write an entire module, because you've already crossed
>> the "software development" barrier.
>

> this view has a problem: if we decide that in Zope3 software development
> == writing modules we will completely loose a significant part of our
> current and future user base: people who learned to program for the Web
> using ASP, PHP or JSP. We all know mixing logic and presentation is bad.
> But "logic" and "presentation" are not as distinct as "black" and
> "white". In sophisticated sites a lot of server side logic is written to
> support the presentation (and I am not talking about DHTML cosmetics,
> but content filtering and aggregation, for example). So there is a
> significant gray area where the most effective solution (for a lot of
> web programmers) is to write TTW Python scripts close to the pages that
> use them.  [Note that, for the ASP and PHP crowd, this is already a new
> discipline to learn: they are used to write all of their logic INSIDE
> their pages and to think about writing code in a separate file is
> already a strecth].
>
> So, although to create products to way to go is writing modules, there
> will always be a demand to implement some logic as small ad-hoc scripts.

I fully agree.  I didn't mean to say that scripting should be displaced,
only that when developers write classes and methods, they should be able
to do it by writing a Python module instead of working around the
limitations of a ZClass-like GUI.  With better configurability, fewer
people will have any need to write classes.

Shane