[Zope3-dev] Web site scripting and templating in Zope 3

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:09:50 -0500

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I've written some science fiction documentation:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ThroughTheWebSiteDevelopment
>
> that sketches out a model for site development in Zope 3.
>
> I really need feedback on this. Comments are more than welcome.
> Feel free to comment here or on the wiki page.

Before I get into the discussion, I'd like to clarify one point.

You *will* be able to do scripting and templating in Zope 3
without creating Python modules or packages.

There are or will built-in content objects for:

- DTML pages

- ZPT pages

- Python scripts

- SQL scripts

A page here means dynamic content expressed as a template.
A script is dynamic content expressed as Python or SQL code.
These pages and scripts will have full access to the Zope 3 APIs.

A newbie Zope 3 programmer will be able to create dynamic pages
and scripts in much the same way they do now.

I guess we need some documentation that describes this aspect of
Zope 3 development.  I wish I knew more about this class of user.