[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:45:32 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:

> We should strive to reduce the need for common Zope users to write
> software.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with notions like "common", "most" and "70-80%".

There seems to be an actor here that we haven't accounted for at:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/UserGoalsAndUseCases

I'm willing to believe that there is a large class of Zope users
that don't write software other than the equivalent of ASP, JSP, PHP, and
CGI. The "Software development" section of "Through the Web Site Development"
wasn't aimed at them. I agree that we should serve these folks.

 > Classes and methods are software.  Once you ask someone to
> write a class or method, you're better off letting them write an entire
> module, because you've already crossed the "software development" barrier.

yup

> Ever since I started maintaining my own Zope site, I've wanted to do two
> simple things.  I'm coming to believe that a lot of new Zope users want
> the same things:
>
> 1) Add metadata to objects following some schema that I define, and
> search based on that metadata.

Could you expand on this a bit?  So you mean add meta data to individual
objects, all objects, or "classes" of objects, this creating new content
types.

Are you basically talking about creating content types here, or about something
simpler.

> 2) Define what people see if they traverse directly to the object.
> Although the default view could be defined by the type of the object, I
> think the default view of something is not necessarily dependent on its
> type.

I'm confused here. What does the default view depend on? Are you talking
about doing this on an object-by-object basis (e.g. folder) or are talking
about defining content types and saying how to display each content type?