[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:05:42 -0500

At 04:49 PM 1/13/03 -0500, Jon Whitener wrote:

>I propose that the exciting and compelling *idea* of ZClasses should be
>revisited and reimplemented in a way that allows Zope users to create
>Python modules with the ease and speed of current ZClasses.
>
>If I understand correctly, persistent modules would replace ZClasses, but
>you need to be a Python programmer to create them.  ZClasses are easy and
>fast to create even for the beginner, and allow people to simply create
>Zope objects that model their business realities, but are buggy and fragile.
>
>Is there no middle-ground, or hybrid, between these two things?

Sure.  Define a View on a persistent module that lets you edit it as though
it were a folder of classes, "properties" (in the old Zope 2 sense), and
methods, all of them actually being views on the contents of the persistent
module, with the class views implementing a ZClass-style UI.

If the view also allowed you to see the Python source that represented
these objects, you'd then have an easy path to graduate into actually
writing the Python yourself.

If I understand correctly, this would be the "correct" way of doing things
in Zope 3, leveraging the ability to have UI adapters over a relatively
simple and robust core object.