[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Luciano Ramalho lgsr@uol.com.br
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:11:52 -0300

On segunda-feira, jan 13, 2003, at 19:48 America/Sao_Paulo, Jim Fulton
wrote:

>> Yep, be amazed. I'll happily wax on why people use DTML if you want
>> my 2 cents
>
> Please. I really would prefer that people new to Zope start with ZPT.
> I'm willing to consider adding things to ZPT within reason and if
> necessary to make this so.

Yes, some things could be added to ZPT to make it more attractive to
beginners. An easier way to do batching is a good example.

But I don't think adding functionality to ZPT is the answer. The DTML
epidemic must be stopped by education!

People must learn:

1) that embedding logic in your templates is BAD
     (this is not obvious if all you've ever seen is PHP);

2) that learning a little Python is easy and fun;
     (this not obvious if the last language you learned was badly
designed -- no need to mention names here)

3) that using ZPT with some supporting Python scripts is easier and
more effective than using a single language for templates and logic
     (it is not obvious at all that learning two languages can be easier
than learning one; but we know this is the case, in this case)

We can no longer pretend that people will learn Python elsewhere to use
Zope. Our docs must teach the essential Python skills in the context of
ZPT, both at the same time.

I've been wanting to write a tutorial for a while called "Learn ZPT
with Python". I think the time has home.

--
Luciano