[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:19:22 +1100

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 9:59 am, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> > I've never met someone who learned web development in Zope. If you come
> > from PHP, ASP or ColdFusion, DTML is much easier as a first step. Soon
> > enough, people get bitten by DTML, but the alternative seems to costly
> > (one must learn ZPT and some Python to do all that DTML doeas).
>
> What things does DTML do that they need Python to do in ZPT?
> Batch processing and formatting?

ZPT already does this stuff, and does it well. Well, if the processing is
simple enough, that is. Even in DTML that can suck very quickly.

The most common argument for PHP that I see is that it's really easy to
perform a database request and format the results. In PHP (AFAIK, I might be
wrong) that's one PHP page. In DTML _or_ ZPT, that's two "pages" that need
creating.

Hurm - if there was a TALES expression for executing an arbitrary SQL
request... oooh...

   Richard