[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:29:46 -0800

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:22:45PM -0700, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> It's less easy to create because it requires file system access and
> deep knowledge of how product initialization works.

Either that or copy and paste of voodoo code from some other class,
like Boring. Or inherit from mxmSimpleProduct which can get you
going pretty quickly, but of course can't solve every scenario
for you.

> There's nothing wrong with having to be a Python programmer to make
> stuff for Zope, any more than there's anything wrong with being a
> Visual Basic programmer to do most ASP work.

Yes.  I think we should emphasize python as a strength and one
of the nice simple features of zope.  "It comes with a world-class
portable and scalable scripting language that you can learn in a day or two!"

> modeling) to Python so large that people fear it.  This is especially
> true with Zope 2, because it's not only a large leap to Python, but a
> large leap to the Zope 2 API's and inheritance model.

BINGO.

>  You can be
> extremely confident in Python but still have it take a long time to
> grok how to write a usable content object for Zope.  I wager even the
> Python Labs crew can testify to that.

That would make me feel better. :)  I was more confident in python
and the standard library after my first year with it,
than I am with zope 2 after almost 3 years with it.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com