[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Tom Hoffman tom_hoffman@mac.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:59:54 -0500

On Monday 13 January 2003 17:24, Luciano Ramalho wrote:

> I've never met someone who learned web development in Zope.=20

As one of the probably tiny number of people who have done this, I'll chi=
me in=20
briefly.

=46rom my point of view,  it is all about documentation, particularly boo=
ks.

I made my first Zope applications copying the code from the Zope Book's=20
chapter on ZClasses.  Without that book, it would have been hopeless.  Th=
e=20
strength of ZClass development for newbies is not that it is intuitive to=
 get=20
started, but that your first attempts are relatively bulletproof.  I quit=
e=20
rashly set up two mission-critical applications for our school using=20
ZClasses.  I barely knew what I was doing and they worked flawlessly.

I don't think I could have gotten started with Python products before the=
 Zope=20
Bible came out.  Everything does make much more sense once one starts usi=
ng=20
Python and it is a big relief.

I don't fully understand Python scripts because I've never absolutely had=
 to=20
make them work.

ZPT is a hurdle for me only because all the existing books primarily use =
DTML=20
examples throughout.

One lurker's point of view.

--Tom