[Zope3-dev] RE: DISCUSS: Icons in Zope 3

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha@swing.be
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:43:24 +0100

At 16:17 14/01/2003, Jan Smith wrote:
>Hi Godefroid and Paul
>
>I have a number of questions I hope you don't find them too tedious because
>I would like to be an effective contributor to the Zope 3 graphics effort.
>
>.........Godefroid...............

>.........Jan....................
> > >Here's an icon for the service manager.
> >
> > Thanks again...
> >
> > But when trying to integrate your icon I found the service.gif icon
> > (attached) which has been used as a base for other services.
> >
> > So I wondered if it would not be nice to combine your icon and service.gif
> >

>ahh I have just discovered the set of icons on the services page you are
>referring to.  I missed that page when I did my screen shots for Zope 3 on
>http://www.ozzope.org/zope3.htm (now added  no. 13).  I would be happy to
>either combine the two icons as you suggest or perhaps you could use the
>plain circular arrow as the services gif and I pop something inside it for
>the service object hub.  In order to do this I need to know what an object
>hub is though :)  Secondly I don't have a high resolution copy of your
>services.gif. and would need it.
>
>I don't know how to access the cvs or was it called something else? (my
>apologies I can't find your reference)   I don't know where to look to find
>the high resolution graphics already made.  Tell me where I can find them
>and if I can't do it I will get someone in Melbourne to help me.

I already sent this to Gus :
begin

>BTW, I am in no way tight to the current colors. The problem is that I am
>bad at graphics and cannot change other icons.
>So if you can manage to change the full set of icons I have no problem
>with any nice color scheme. I was told that the current set has been drawn
>by Kit Blake (kitblake@infrae.com).
>
>If you want, you could arrange smoething with him.
end

>I was speaking Gus Gollins on the phone today about graphics for Zope 3 (we
>both live in Melbourne btw).  Following our conversation I have a couple
>points and some questions.
>
>One thing graphics can do is lift the whole look of Zope 3 and help sell it.
>It would be nice to have a set of guidelines for the graphics - in saying
>this the last thing I want is to make the whole process a heavy bureaucratic
>chore.
>
>. does Zope Corporation have any guidelines for their graphics - such as
>colors, fonts, sizes etc?

don't think so

>. does ZC need to approve Zope 3 Graphics if not who does?

we, I mean the community ie Paul, you, Gus, Kit, Godefroid,....

>. what file formats would you like to receive graphics in and where should
>they be sent?

Don't know if there is a decision

But I'd like to avoid gif and jpeg license problems

so I'd like png

Or you sign the Zope contributor agreement or you send them to someone who
already has (any people having contributed to Zope3 and willing to help you
have them integrated)

>. is 16x16 pixels the preferred size for icons - would a slightly larger
>size be ok.

why would you need them bigger (we want real estate)

>. if it was thought desirable would there be any problems adapting some of
>Plones icons or Silva's icons.  It may be a good thing to start having a
>predictable Zope look.

In both case, you need to find out about :
-license questions
-people agreement

Kit, can you answer for Silva ?

>. I've looked at the KDE and gnome icons and most of them are much much
>larger than 16x16 pixels. My personal preference, being well over 40, is for
>icons bigger than 16 x 16 pixels but I am happy to conform.
>
>. as Gus mentioned to you it earlier it would be good to have an agreed upon
>font and case for the text in the graphics.

Just propose

but we need cross-platform fonts (or in any case similar fonts) so that
Zope does not look to different from one platform to another

>. I've put the existing Zope 3 designs on OzZope at
>http://www.ozzope.org/Zope3Graphics.htm this is easy for me to update if
>there is no other easy url. I can put other examples up if people think it
>will be useful.
>
>. should there be an effort to look at an overall style for the icons
>without becoming over zealous about the effectiveness of this.  A theme can
>enrich the product.  I think Silva's forest theme adds a subtle depth to
>Silva.

Please propose. Still I am afraid it is easier for Silva to have a coherent
theme than for Zope as Zope is supposed to have a much broader scope
application server (opposed to Silva seen as content management application)

>In the future from me I expect there will be more output and less questions.
>I don't mind critical comments about any of the above.

Thanks for input

--

Godefroid Chapelle

BubbleNet sprl