[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Eric Roby Eric.Roby@noaa.gov
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:12:26 -0600

> We could certainly provide a tool like this.  Steve and Martijn
> are working on a system for generating content types from schema.
>
> Their system generates Python modules that implement the schema.
>
> Jim

I would like to inquire about the status of this effort.

We have built a generator (don't know what else to call it) that takes a domain ontology
(currently an RDF Schema) and builds a zope product from it. Obviously this ontology is
limited to defining a data model, but we are trying to devise a way to define/model
application ontologies that would provide a means to build controller and view
components.  I am trying (as much as possible) to follow the discussions going on in this
listing so that what we end up with is a process that will fold into the 3 architecture.
I am one that has built hundreds of ZClasses (shame on me!) because I could. They are a
bit like the 'forbidden fruit' and a bit like the 'pit bull' in the back yard.  Hard to
resist yet can turn on you in an instant and bite you in the back-side...  Despite the
short comings, TTW extensions at this level is awesome.  Building a domain ontology using
a GUI like Protege2000 (developed at Stanford) is no different than building the basic
ZClass (minus the methods and views).  I suspect that we have different goals in mind and
different starting points but there seems to be some commonality in the end result.

Eric