[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Eric Roby Eric.Roby@noaa.gov
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:47:47 -0600

> You may be able to map your RDF schema onto a number of related
> managed/generated schemas, as described above.
>
> Do your ontologies evolve over time?

The ontologies we will build evolve in the sense that the can be merged with other ontologies
to form new ontologies which then are turned into python classes (new Zope product).  But the
maintenance and evolution of these ontologies take place outside of Zope.  We use Protege2000
as our modeler.  Through Protege we can build meta-classes to extend the standard that allows
us to enrich the ontology without polluting the instance namespace.

Currently we are using RDF Schema which works fine for modelling data but we will be
supporting XTM/XFML for printed matter and we are trying to get our brains wrapped around
DAML-OIL to see if it will provide us with the ability to model (to a limited degree)
controller components.  If this doesn't pan out we may have to look at rolling our own around
some sort of pseudo-language... don't know about that but to be able to crack that nut would
free up our developers to tackle more important issues and leave the KM support to the
knowledge engineers at a much higher level of abstraction.

Eric Roby