[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:37:01 -0500

Jon Whitener wrote:
 > At 1/15/03 06:41 PM +0200, Steve Alexander wrote:
 >
 >> You don't have to mix HTML with TAL expressions. [...] ZPT:  Hello
 >> <b><tal:tag replace="name"/></b>, how are you?
 >

 > Wow, that's news to me!  Is this TAL tag form documented anywhere?
 > This is the first I've heard of it.  The text "tal:tag" does not
 > appear in any of the Zope Book ZPT chapters that I could find.

TAL lets you make up tag names.  Attributes of a TAL tag default to the
"tal:" namespace, so you don't have to write "tal:" more than once per
tag.  (In fact, if you use an xmlns attribute, you don't have to use a
"tal:" prefix at all, but then you have to prefix everything else.)

You know, if we explained TAL tags better in the Zope book, people might
welcome ZPT more readily.  The ZPT chapter should have a section (right
at the beginning) for those who come from PHP/ASP/JSP environments.
That section would explain how to write transitional page templates with
lots of TAL tags.

Shane