[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Packages vs Python Packages

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:30:12 +0200

Chris Withers wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
>
>>> Are Zope 3 Packages and Python Packages the same thing?
>>

>> I don't know what a "Zope 3 package" is.
>>
>> A Persistent Package (as used in Zope 3) is not the same as a Python
>> Package.
>

> That sounds liek whatan outside oberver might refer to as a 'Zope 3
> packacge' ;-)
>
>>> If not, please can we change the name NOW?
>>

>> Both do the job of "packaging".
>>
>> "Package" is a pretty good name for both things.
>

> Ugh! Is it only me who see's the potential for huge amounts of
> unnecessary confusion?! Python got Package first, why not call the Zope
> 3 things 'bundles'.

Do we need a different name for Zope 3 Persistent Classes and Zope 3
Persistent Modules too? Perhaps 'db-behaviours' and 'db-code-containers'?

I'm absolutely fine with Python having packages, modules and classes,
and with Zope 3 having persistent packages, persistent modules and
persistent classes.
We expect the 'persistent' variants of these things to work a bit
differently to the standard python ones.

--
Steve Alexander