[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Packages vs Python Packages

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:53:10 +0200

> AFAIK, that's not in question.  Persistent Python packages will still
> be called packages.

Other than what we are talking about right now, there are no persistent
python packages.

(Unless you're talking about a persistent module, which at a stretch
could be considered a persistent package becuase a module is a package.)

> But look at the Zope 3 UI.  Services and other components are in
> packages.  This is a new concept.  These new things can hold
> configurations, components, and persistent Python packages.

Python packages on the filesystem can hold configurations, components
and other filesystem packages. For example, the zope.app.browser package
in src/zope/app/browser contains configurations, components and other
packages.

So far, I see that "these new things" are used pretty much like the
filesystem packages we already have with Zope 3.

> "Bundle" seems like a reasonable alternative to package in this case.

Should we call the filesystem python packages "bundles" when we put a
configure.zcml inside them?

--
Steve Alexander