[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Packages vs Python Packages

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:11:03 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Ugh! Is it only me who see's the potential for huge amounts of
>> unnecessary confusion?! Python got Package first, why not call the
>> Zope 3 things 'bundles'.
>> I'm open to 'bale', 'crate' or even 'parcel' too ;-)
>> http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=package
>
> You can already put a Python package in a RedHat package, then put that
> RPM in a software package and ship it to retailers in a boxed package.

RedHat package's are refered to as 'RPMs' by most people I know of.

The other sort you refer to are usually called 'Software Packages', not just
'Packages'.

> No one chooses a different word because no one finds it confusing. :-)

I think they would if the term 'Package' was used without any context. This is
likely to happen when dealing with Zope 'Packages' written in Python packages.

cheers,

Chris