[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Packages vs Python Packages

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:06:22 +0000

Paul Everitt wrote:
> Maybe you should meet some new people? :^)  Take a look at:
>
>   http://www.ximian.com/products/redcarpet/features.html
>
> What does RedHat say?  Well, they're confused too:

That's like saying "look, there's some lemmings jumping off a cliff, lets go
join them!" :-(

> 1) 95% of the people in Zopeland that encounter the thing currently
> being discussed will be average schmoes.  They will *not* know or care
> about the fine semantic details of Python packages.

Exactly. So when they ask a question on a mailing list about a Zope graphics
package and one of the -dev people trying to help them goes "have you got the
PIL package installed" they're going to get needlessly confused.

> 2) Inventing a new, unfamiliar term to avoid mental-collusion for the 5%
> of insiders will help ensure we don't have to worry too much about the
> 95%'ers. :)  ("Bundle, how cute, where did they come up with *that* word?")

Take the earlier example:

schmoe: The WizzyGraphics bundle I'm playing with isn't working.
devbot: Have you got the PIL package installed?

I think they'd appreciate the cute new term in return for the clarity it brings.
'Collection' is another alternative I'd propose.

> 3) Let's start thinking about how Zope 3 will portray itself to people
> that aren't on zope3-dev.

Indeed, that's exactly where I'm coming from :-)

cheers,

Chris