[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Packages vs Python Packages

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:14:37 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> I just looked again at Jim's proposal at
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ThroughTheWebSiteDevelopment .  He uses the
> term "software distribution package".  Chris is proposing to rename this
> "software distribution bundle".

Indeed.

> Python packages need to have Pythonic names.  You wouldn't want to
> "import contact_1_0_0_a1".  In this and other ways, software
> distribution ______s have more in common with .tar.gz files than with
> Python packages, in that they are not themselves Python packages, but
> may contain Python packages.

This is what I was thinking. Are we right?

> I think my argument sounds weak, though.  Debate some more and maybe
> you, I, or someone else will come up with better reasoning. :-)

How so? I think the argument for clarity of what you're dicussing, especially
when newbies are involved, is a pretty compelling one...

cheers,

Chris