[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

Barry Pederson barryp@medicine.nodak.edu
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:20:04 -0600

 From Jim's summary, there are 3 kinds of "packages" (I though 2 was bad
enough :)

Python packages
     which we all know and love, usually loaded from directories
     and files on disk.

Persistent packages
     '...in the object database....*only* provide a namespace'

      not sure where they come from, but if they act very much
      like a Python package thats in the OODB instead of on disk,
      that's not too bad.  You can create modules on-the-fly in
      Python - so this isn't too much of a leap for a Pythonista to
      grasp.

Zope packages
     objects...in a "packages" container object, in a service manager
     ...do not provide much in the way of namespaces.'

    A. Provide a workspace for local configuration.

    B. Provide a mechanism for creating software distributions.

    C. Provide a mechanism for installing software distributions.

This last one is the mind-warper, especially B and C.  What exactly does
"provide a mechanism" mean?

What are in the "software distributions" exactly?  Are they a combination
of configuration_settings + python_packages + persistent-packages/modules
joined together in some kind of archive file?  When I install a "software
distribution" would it write a python-package out to my disk, and create
persistent packages/modules and configuration settings on the OODB?

If so, then I'd think calling that thing (the archive file, what you
actually 'distribute') a "bundle" would make sense - if its a bunch of
differently-typed items that need to be kept together. (usage C, the
"Closed Zope Package")

Usage A and B almost seems more like a "control-panel", perhaps
"control-folder" or just "controls"?

	Barry