[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:20:26 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> seb bacon wrote:
>
>> Why do we need to 'close' a workspace at all?  Is it just a state
>> which indicates that the source is pristine or of a release standard?
>
> Yes.  Nothing more.  It's quite valuable, too. :-)

I think that it's not valuable enough...

> But interpretation by end users matters more than implementation, of
> course.  Still, it would seem strange to me for an object to morph into
> something else just because I toggle a boolean attribute.

True.

The process of reaching a release point is more than just a mental
toggle, though.  Should it really feel that easy?  What about two
developers toggling it at the same time?  Or one developer toggling it
10 times a day in order to make some incremental changes?  It is likely
that real-world use would require varying numbers of states.  It begins
to sound a bit like a version control system.

I wonder if they should just be "workspaces" (or "bundles" or whatever)
and we should defer the question of their state to a versioning service.
  Distribution will be handled by a distribution service which will only
allow you to distribute workspaces which are in a certain state, such as
'locked'.

>> ...  I would be suprised if much of the installed user base thinks
>> of a "product" as anything other than "an optional piece of software
>> you download and install which makes Zope do useful stuff"

> A product also:
>
> - is a Python package
> - registers meta_types
> - runs unrestricted
> - gets initialized at each Zope startup
> - can monkey-patch
> - contains Python code
> - usually gets compressed as a tarfile
> - is located under a directory called Products
> - can hold ZClasses
> - shows up in the control panel

But all these examples are only relevant to developers of some flavour.
  I think the installed user base is at most interested in the lat two
items, and in general not even those.

> Any of these assumptions (and others) may be broken in the future.  The
> first assumption is what led to the whole confusion about "persistent
> packages" vs. "Zope packages", in fact.

I guess that maybe 80% of Zope users would come up with a definition
like mine ("an optional piece of software you download and install which
makes Zope do useful stuff").  *That* would continue to be a valid
description of BundleWorkspacePackages in the future.

Having said all that, I'm not too bothered about the term 'Product'.  It
just seems a pity to throw away an old friend without being clear about
the reasons :-)

We definitely need that big survey of "most zope users", it seems...

seb