[Zope3-dev] Better exception display

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:54:42 +0100

Hello Richard,

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:35 am, holger krekel wrote:
> > When i am developing Zope2 stuff i often get long tracebacks when
> > trying to perform a certain action TTW.  I might not even have changed
> > the code but did a 'cvs up'.  So here is my application with all
> > the ZPT-rendering, macros and application level stuff going on.
> > And a traceback with 20 entries.  where the last problems took
> > place in some ZPT which was invoked through a script through other
> > ZPTs.  No doubt, someone more knowledgable (and knowing the app)
> > might rather quickly deduce where the problem actually is.
> >
> > I am just saying that a different representation of Exceptions
> > would probably not help me too much.  Unless Shane is right
> > and the Zope2.6 error handling already offers enough
> > improvement for such situations.
>
> I did a lot of work in Roundup - which uses ZPT - in cleaning up the
> tracebacks for exceptions in template rendering. There's usually a lot of
> info jammed away in the stack for the traceback display to use (and I
> actually stuff some extra namespace/expression info away in addition to the
> normal ZPT info). Attached is an example of a simple templating exception.

This looks a lot better than what i know.  But actually i'd like a rendered
page where the erranonous part of a page is substitued by a link which
leads to your traceback information.  I have done a prototype for
this in a different project and it really helps.  I have no idea
if this would be feasible with Zope3.

regards,

    holger