[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

Jim Fulton jim@ZOPE.COM
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:09:24 -0500

Tres Seaver wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 15:41, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Jim Fulton wrote:

>>>But the model you suggest may not be very useful. I'm pretty sure that this
>>>shouldn't be such a lightweight operation. In any case, I would not assume
>>>it is at this point.
>>
>>FYI: I talked with Jim.  Packaging is focused more on customization of
>>installed software rather than changing installed software.  I had
>>forgotten this distinction for a moment.  Customization is important for
>>nearly all users.
>>
>>It's still important to be able to change installed software, but that
>>is generally an activity only for developers of that software, so it
>>doesn't need to be lightweight--but it shouldn't be as heavy as it is in
>>CMF, either.
>

> I'm not actually convinced of that;  having downstream consumers modify
> the software can be an anti-goal for *lots* of situations, so making it
> harder can be a win.  If you *do* make it easier to modify "closed"
> software, then you *must* make resolving conflicting changes easier than
> I foresee us having resources to tackle in the near term.
>
> We could call such "closed-by-intent" distributeions "pandora boxes" :)

Yup. Making "closed" software "open" should be like taking the back off
a TV. It nullifies any warrantees.

Mu intuition is that you can create a open thing froma closed thing, but this
has copy semantics. The new thing is a totally different thing.