[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

Jon Whitener wmmail@twmi.rr.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:22:54 -0500

At 1/22/03 10:40 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Now, we need names for these. We won't call them "packages". :)

For an X object, I think "workspace" is better than "folder" - it
portrays better what is meant (as I understand it).

I think a good word for a "Y" is "device".  "Device" -from the Old
French deviser, "to distribute" etc.- properly connotes a finished,
complete, closed thing (a black box) that one uses for a specific
purpose.  Also, it's a term unique enough to be easily memorable
and distinguishable.

Here's Jim's message using "device" and "workspace":

> I think that there is a some agreement that we have two kinds of
> objects, [workspaces] and [devices]. ;)
>
> X. [Workspaces] are where site developers can create
>    custom components and configurations. For example, people
>    create service and utility instances in [workspaces].
>
>    Some people will do software development in [workspaces].
>    They may initially do this to create some local views or
>    even content types.
>
>    (These things support the uses previously called A and B.)
>
> Y. [Devices] provide installable software and configurations.
>    The software and configuration [in a device] are unchangeable.
>    The only thing that's changeable is the software installation
>    status [of the device].

>    [Devices] are used for software distribution. [Devices] add new
>    fundctionality to a site.
[...]

======

> The leading name for Ys seems to be "bundles" although, there are
> some, including myself, who think that the name should more clearly
> indicate that these are things that you use to add software to your
> Zope. Suggestions include "products", "plugins", and "add-ons".

I feel "device" is more precise than product (though product isn't
bad) because device better indicates a self-contained thing with some
specific function.  "Plug-in" and "Add-on" bother me because they are
vague, and they are not nouns.  (I don't think there is any risk of
people confusing a Zope device with hardware.)

As for the X-thing / workspace / folder, I still don't understand it
very well, frankly.  Can someone point to a real-world example that
an old-fashioned Zope 2-er can understand (i.e. without talking about
custom components, configurations, or service and utility instances)?

>Thoughts? :)
>Jim

If that ain't enough, forget it.

Jon Whitener