[Zope3-dev] Re: Interface support in Python? (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Proposal: Improving on __implements__)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:17:53 -0500

> Seriously, though, is there any indication that the BDFL would support such
> a thing?  Would Guido perhaps be willing to state what preconditions an
> interface PEP would require to meet with his approval?

That's hard to say.  Here are some necessary (but not sufficient)
conditions:

- don't expect this change to take place in Python 2.3; it's 2.4 at
  the earliest (I've promised no more new syntax in 2.3)

- the syntax must be parsable for the LL(1) parser that I have

- it must be implementable in Jython

- if there are new keywords involved, they will have to be introduced
  with a __future__ statement in the first one or two releases where
  they appear (see PEP 5)