[Zope3-dev] Re: 'Folders', 'Sites' and customising Y's

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:54:37 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:

BTW, Thanks for keeping this discussion going. I know this must
be tiresome, but I think it's important.

>>> X : Software Folder or Workspace Folder (I'm neutral as to which one
>>> is better)
>>

>> Well, if we go for "folder" I wouldn't use "workspace" as a modifier,
>> as that's really redundant.
>

> How so? a workspace folder is for working in, a plugin folder can be
> moved around and installed elsewhere but not modified...

OK, but by that logic, content folders would be workspace folders too.

>>> Yes, but this fails to cover the crucial point, IMHO. Someone
>>> customises a Y (how will this work? I'm thinking the 'custom' skin
>>> layer in CMF...)
>>

>> The normal way to customize a Y will be to ininstall (deactivate) some of
>> it's configurations and configure components from other Xs and Ys.
>> When creating
>> these other components, they may copy selected components from the Y
>> they are
>> customizing.
>

> Hmmm... how granular is 'component'? Down to a single page template or
> script?

In practice, components will often be defined with individual templates,
classes, or with a template and a class, where the class may be shared among
multiple components.  I don't think that scripts will be used to
create components.