[Zope3-dev] ZConfig delegates deprecated?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:32:28 -0500

Phillip J. Eby writes:
 > I've noticed that the ZConfig doc no longer mentions section delegation,
 > except in some information about API's that it says are
 > deprecated.  Anybody know what's up with that?

Yes.  We'd like to get the section delegation stuff implemented in the
schema-supporting flavor of ZConfig, but there are still some real
design decisions to be made as to how that should interact with schema
validation.  The lack of support for that is a matter of available
time, not that we don't think it's a good idea for complicated
configurations.

 > Also, there used to be something called %import, I thought, that
 > did something different than %include, and I don't see that around
 > any more either.  Is there some place I can find an explanation of
 > the changes?  Thanks.

"%import" (previous just "import") was removed since the semantics of
importing sections were actually quite difficult to explain -- enough
so to cause us to decide the feature wasn't as thorougly thought out
as it needed to be.  Something like it may be added in the future if
experience indicates that it's needed and we can define the sematics
in a clear way.

There's still a lot of documentation to be written, so I'm in no rush
to add questionable features back right now.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation