NZO, was Re: [Zope3-dev] Zope 3 branding

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:53:28 -0800

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 06:46:39PM -0700, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> What do you intend to do when you've "collected all valid proposals"?

they're just there to be a reference point of what's  been
proposed with some basic info on why each one is and is not suitable.
i don't intend to "do" anything with them.

> There's a project on Zope.org for New Zope.org.  These Wiki pages
> should at least be there.

er.. uh....  :(
sorry about that.  i slapped it up on plone.org because

1) i didn't know about the "new" nzo wiki on zope.org. pure ignorance.

2) it seemed the discussion was already taking place on plone.org, and
i figured people with accounts on plone.org would already be
logged in there.

In retrospect, i should have looked around on zope.org, and
plone.org might not be seen as "neutral ground",
since the anti-plone faction are
not likely to have accounts on plone.org and will either have
to post anonymously or (shudder) register on plone.org.

I don't suppose there exists any kind of migration tool
to copy an instance of whatever version of ZWiki is used
on plone.org and put it in as whatever version is used
by c.z.o.?

alternatively, if anyone will volunteer to help, i will
migrate it by hand ASAP and close the one i put on plone.org.
or better, replace each page with a link to the zope.org one.

>  It's good that you're doing this, but it's
> now starting to feel like NZO is being pulled in even more directions.

oh fudge, not at all what i intended.

I was hoping that in a year when somebody says "why on earth didn't
zope.org use Silva", we'd be able to say "we discussed that
and here's why", or alternatively "because nobody put any effort into
a silva proposal."

> I apologize if I'm coming off as a bit cranky.

not at all, compared to some of the discussion on plone.org about
this :-\

As for wanting a decision - yes, i think we would all like this
to be over and done with, but my impression is that Guido
asked the community to decide, and the community is moving
along at about the pace you'd expect :-p

If it was announced that there was a BDFL or Zope Pope decision,
that would certainly get things over with quicker...
but i don't know whether people would like that more or less
than a messy ad-hoc community decision process. Personally I don't
care much either way, i just wanted to help facilitate the
process given that it was put to the community.

I should mention that IMO both Guido and Sidnei still have
veto power over any community vote, since they're in charge
of making it happen.
at least I think they are.  Maybe others too, but i
can't seem to find a definitve list - the one at
http://www.zope.org/projects/nzo/ProjectTeam
doesn't even mention Sidnei or Guido.

--

Paul Winkler