[Zope3-dev] Re: Dependencie-handling

Marcus J. Ertl marcus.ertl@larp-welt.de
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:56:35 +0200

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:13:10 -0400, R. David Murray wrote:

Hi!

>>- check if a product is available
>>- check if all moduls are available
>>- to tell the administrator something is missing
>IMO, the right answer is none of the above <grin>.  Use Adapters
>and Interfaces and Services so that your product does not depend
>on another specific product, but rather on a set of Interfaces and
>Services

I think it isn't that easy! For example: For my forum I will need:

A textsource service like used in zwiki! This must be installed
earlier!
A Membership System
A Database Adapter
A Service of my own, for creating unique names

Of course, if one is missing, an errormessage should be given. But I
think there should be a common way for

- checking for such depencies
- a commone way to tell the user/admin of them.

I rember of Zope2, where most products just died with an python error
message, some checked for error, and provided them in logfiles, on
standard out or in zmi.

IMHO, there should be a standard way to tell an admin/user why
something is broken. And in a not perfekt but good world, it also would
tell admin/user what to do!

Just tell me, where should the message go to:

- zmi
- stdout
- logfile
- a special logfile
- per mail to admin
- send an  sms ;o)
- ...

And as long time project, a system like apt-get on debian would be fun,
witch resolves such problems on it self.

Bye
   Marcus
--
 Das LARP-Portal im Internet: