[Zope3-dev] Extending a top-level ZConfig schema

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:17:49 -0400

Phillip J. Eby writes:
 > There doesn't seem to be any way to extend a top-level ZConfig schema (as
 > opposed to a schema component); are there any plans to change that?

I'm not sure which of two different things you're trying to do:

- modify the top level of a schema from something it <import/>s, or

- create a new schema that adds to an existing schema.

(If it's not one of these, please elaborate!)

If what you want is the later, I could see adding support for it using
syntax like this:

<schema extends='src'>
  <!-- only the new stuff here -->
</schema>

where src is similar to the src attribute of <import/>, but
everything is retained (essentially doing the same thing as <import
src='...'/> plus a <sectiontype extends='that-other-schema'/>).

 > I thought that using <import src=""> would do it, but that only seems to
 > import section *types*, not key or section definitions.

That's correct.  This was done this way since so the difference
between <import src='...'/> and <import package='...'/> wasn't too
confusing.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>