[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Source organization

Brad Bollenbach brad@bbnet.ca
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:46:58 -0400

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 06:25:51PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > On Monday 14 July 2003 03:36, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Also, I think we do not expect people to edit the actual FS code that
> > much, since development will happen in the ZODB anyways.
>
> I'm not sure what this means. I am getting slowly worried hearing a lot
> about the currently vaporware ZODB-based development model as solving
> the problems we have with the filesystem model. I'm not sure if this
> was your intended meaning though.

I too am concerned about the overemphasis on the utility of the ZODB for
"normal" Python coding tasks (i.e. application logic and other bits and
pieces that should otherwise know nothing about a web framework).

The use case of writing a unit test, implementing a method to pass it,
and making that usable in my Python code within my application (that
uses Zope to publish objects) should be trivial.

It'd be a shame to compromise the simplicity of this process -- more
than it already is :P --  by thinking that the most common case of
hacking a Zope-based application is to edit code in the ZODB layer.

To me, this seems useful in only the most trivial applications (and even
then, doubtfully so).

Before getting too off-topic though in this thread, I'll revisit the
normal-Python-code-vs.-Zope-integration in another, more carefully
thought out rant in the next week or two. :)

--
Brad Bollenbach
BBnet.ca