[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Source organization

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:03:10 +0200

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Well, yes and no. I can see where all of you who +1'd this are coming
> from, but what would you do if you want to re-implement the workflow
> package? On what interfaces would you rely on?

Yup, I think one of the problems is that right now Zope 3 enforces
interfaces for objects before the programmer is fully ready to
flesh out an independent interface. The programmer therefore wants
the interface to be very close to the code, as whenever the code
changes the interface stands a good chance of changing too. This to
me means the code is not yet fully fleshed out, and my worry is that
I have all this overhead in maintaining the interface in the first
place while fleshing out this code.

[snip]
> As much of a pain it is right now, I'd like to keep the current
> convention. Interfaces need to be separated from implementation, unless
> we invent something like global identifiers like Shane suggested
> (http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-July/007522.html). I've
> been wanting to write a proposal on this (was on vacation till today).

I think interfaces and views should remain separate from the
implementation. I think the desire to bundle them together is in part a
symptom of another problem altogether; a frequently premature generalization
that Zope 3 almost enforces on the programmer.

You didn't have that problem so much with the DOM, as the DOM has
a specified set of interfaces already. If you write new code where
this is less clear, it becomes more complicated, though.

Regards,

Martijn