[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Source organization

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:01:15 -0400

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> A response we could have is to make things easier for programmers, at
> the potential risk of making things harder for UI designers in the future.
> Another response would be to try to drag some UI designers into this
> discussion. The risk there is that it seems to be a very hard thing to
> do. I'm not sure what that means.

Speaking from experience: we designed CMF with the intent that UI
designers would come in and clean up the unfinished UI.  That eventually
happened, but not the way we expected.  We expected gradual refinements
to the UI beginning soon after the first release, but we had a hard time
attracting UI designers.  Instead, there was a long period (over a year)
of hardly any improvements, followed by the sudden creation of Plone.

There might be a psychological explanation for this: it's boring to make
slow improvements but exciting to rush in and make something new.  The
lesson Zope 3 might take from this is that it should show the UI
designer how to make a Zope 3 skin with a minimum of effort.  It should
do this primarily by example rather than documentation.

Shane