[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Source organization

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:55:23 -0400

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> One of the problems that we noticed during the Rotterdam sprint is
> that the view people (we had quite a few) tended to get lost in a lot
> of Python code. They basically had to go through the Python code
> hierarchy before they could enter the views/ directories. We should keep
> in mind that it should be instantly obvious without inspection of code
> what has to do with the view and what not. In theory at least
> view coders should only have to inspect the interfaces and example
> views in order to get started.

I think it's worth brainstorming other ways to help people find views
and interfaces:

- Make a utility that symlinks/copies views and interfaces to a place
intended for reference only.  It might fill a directory with files named
like "zope_app_workflow_interfaces.py".  Where symlinking is not
possible, it should set the copies to read-only or try to keep them in
sync with the originals.

- The same idea but more transparent: use a special kind of filesystem
that makes files appear in multiple places automatically.  lufs (
http://lufs.sf.net ) would make this easy in Linux.

- Make a utility that generates static HTML reference docs.

- A GUI or web interface browser.

I would guess that any of those ideas would be as effective for UI
designers as physically locating the views and interfaces in one place.

Shane