[Zope3-dev] Allowing views to be registered for classes ratherthan interfaces.

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:37:02 -0400

At 01:27 PM 7/18/03 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>
>>You could always "borrow" code from PyProtocols, which uses type-based
>>registries as a mechanism for both declaring that classes implement
>>interfaces, *and* as a way of handling adapters between interfaces.
>>There's C code to speed up the critical path of lookup operations,
>
>Actually, Steve and I decided we'd allow adapters of classes a while ago.

Cool.  How about adapters of instances?  ;)

>It will be implemented as part of an upcoming adapter-geddon, which will
>also unify adapters, views, and utilities via n-ary adapters.

I'd love to be involved, especially if I'm going to need to update
PyProtocols to keep it Zope-compatible.  Let me know if there's anything I
can do to help.

Ultimately, I'd like to work towards a set of "interface interfaces" that
can be used across frameworks.  PyProtocols contains my first draft at
such, but I'd like to ensure that Zope's goals can be met using them.  The
greater the interoperability of interfaces between frameworks, the larger
the potential "component marketplace" for all Pythoneers.